BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) SURGERY
- The first 24 Hours:
Leave the bandage in place. If the bandage seems to slip off the head, snug it down back in place. Remove the bandage after 24 hours. The primary dressing under the bandage (white healing cap and square pink dressing) should be left in place. Hair can be washed but dressing must be kept dry and in place.
- First Follow Up – 1 week after surgery:
Hair may be washed on the morning of the appointment. It is okay if the dressing becomes damp. The doctor will remove the dressing and clean the wound and reapply the dressing. Hair can continue to be washed but the dressing must be kept dry.
- Second Follow Up – two weeks after surgery:
The doctor will remove the stitches and clean the wound. Hair may be washed. If the healing is complete, no further dressing should be necessary.
- Patient Cleaning Routine:
During weeks 2 – 5 following surgery, clean around the titanium abutment daily with gently soap and water or baby wipes. Dry the skin carefully.
- Five weeks after surgery you should begin to clean around the abutment with a soft cleaning brush and gentle soap. This should be done daily or a minimum of 2 – 3 times per week.
- You should have an appointment with the audiologist 3 weeks after surgery to attach the speech processor.